Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour
Servings: 12 large servings
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1 head of garlic, diced small
- 5 stalks celery, diced small
- 5 28 oz cans diced tomatoes, drained if a lot of liquid
- 5 tsp. basil
- 5 tsp oregano
- 2 T sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 5 links of italian sausage, remove casing
- 1 lb provolone cheese, grated
- 1 lb parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 lbs mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 small container ricotta cheese
- 20 lasagna noodles
Saute diced onion, garlic and celery on low, in a small amount of olive oil for 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
Add tomatoes (drain if there is too much liquid), basil, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Brown ground sirloin and sausage. Drain and set aside.
Cook noodles per package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Assemble lasagna in a large lasagna pan. Begin with sauce to cover bottom of pan. Then layer noodles, ricotta, parmasean cheese, meat mixture, sauce, provolone and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers 2-3 times. Top last row of noodles with sauce, provolone, mozzarella and parmasean cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour.
Can make and bake the day before. Refrigerate. Then slice and reheat individually.